Illness can happen at any time during life. However, it is more common in the later years. Fortunately, many illnesses can be treated or eased by medication that are prescribed by your doctor. However, medications have side effects and should be taken at their required dosage for optimal results. If you or a loved one is dealing with multiple drugs and multiple conditions, here are a few tips that you need to know:
- Keep A List: Don’t rely on memory and guessing when it comes to your health. Instead, keep a list of your medications and their prescribed dosages. In fact, keep several lists in case you misplace the original. Another benefit of the list is for doctor’s appointments. Your doctors need to know what you are taking and presenting them with a list will make your life, and their job, easier.
- Set An Alarm: Smartphones allow us to set alarms and reminders for multiple events. If you find yourself forgetting to take a medication or you forget to administer medications to a loved one on schedule, start setting alarms on your smartphone.
- Always Read the Label: Make this a habit for every member of your household for every medication. The internet is full of horror stories of individuals who accidentally put super glue instead of eye drops into their eyes or take an unprescribed medication and develop side effects.
- Homeopathy Matters: Many homeopathic remedies and even certain foods can intervene with or increase the effects of a medication. If you are using a folk remedy or homeopathic remedy for any condition, your doctor needs to know.
- Ask For Help: Illness is difficult for the afflicted individual as well as for family members. If you are not handling your illness or if you are struggling to take care of a family member, there is no shame in getting help.
Managing an illness is a formidable task, but there are ways to help yourself, your loved ones, and your doctor.